Friday, September 25, 2009

Week Seven Lecture

Todays lecture discussed free/open source software vs proprietary software. Personally I really didn't have any idea that there was such a market and that there are so many 'open source' software versions available. The computers I have used have already been set up my my parents/school/library so I never stopped to think that the software I was using actually cost money! Clearly being naive, I assumed the software was on the computer ready to go when you bought it...maybe that's not a great thing to admit...

I realise how big of a deal it is if an individual decides to 'crack the codes' on these type of proprietary software versions such as microsoft and that it is illegal to simply copy the software for your own use or anyone elses use on another computer. What surprised me further was the efforts that have been made to make free software available to everyone, such as the free software foundation started by Richard M Stallman in 1981. I think it would benefit everyone if software was more accessible and able to be shared and edited. People aren't going to make a software version worse by editing it, they will generally be trying to enhance and improve it so then everyone can benefit...well almost everyone...apart from those guys who have made their money or proprietary software...

I'm happy to know that there is an option/alternative out there if I take a look and completely agree that if you have bought a computer the expense should end there and you should not have to pay for the software.

No comments:

Post a Comment